Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Almost there

TORRANCE (Calif.) -- We stayed south of L.A. in Torrance last night. Katie can't move in till this afternoon.

We eased into the California scene with a short trip down to Hermosa Beach (about six miles from Torrance). I most certainly caught a chill vibe while strolling along the two-lane walkway. These laid back Californians seem to move at a slower pace.

And all this relaxation inspired a bit of reflection in my road trip companion. She said she's learned a few things while trekking across America:

1. Cracker Barrel and Subway dominate the South; Dunkin' Donuts: not so much.

2. I don't care how intelligent you are, a southern accent makes you sound dumber. [please send mail: c/o Katie Shannon, Emerson satellite campus, Los Angeles, CA]

3. Arkansas is actually a great state (I’m being serious).

4. The Grand Canyon is one the most amazing things that I have ever seen.

5. I realized that I have songs like "Rump Shaker," the "Thong Song," and "Jump on It" on my iPod.

6. DelRossi does not like listening to N’Sync.

7. Black people throw the best retirement parties and I can keep up on the dance floor (at least in my head I did).

8. Irish Pubs are everywhere in this country.

9. Lesbian oil wrestling doesn’t just exist on the L Word.

10. The iPhone is the best thing ever invented.

11. A very gay lesbian and a straight guy can travel across the country, spend 12 days with each other, and still like each other.


share on: facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment