Monday, May 4, 2009

Getting set up

BRIGHTON -- In the spirit of rich Americana slices like Animal House and Road Trip, we are about to embark on...you guessed it...a road trip.

Who: Katie and I
Where: Boston to L.A.
When: Mid to late May 2009
Why: to the best of my knowledge, you only live once.

I have set my goal "post" number to at least once every day of the journey. But I decided to begin the blog a little early. After all, a road trip takes preparation.

We have already scouted most of the stops along the way. Our first detour will be D.C. My buddy Knox said we could stay with him. And he promises a good time on the Washington night air.

From there, we have a pretty nice little road trip: Clinton, S.C.; Sheridan, Ark.; New Orleans, La.; Houston, Texas; Austin, Texas; and the Grand Canyon. Maybe Las Vegas (I don't know if we'll have enough time). And then it's on to L.A.

In the meantime, we have to pick up some supplies and get a good map (I heard AAA offers an excellent trip-planning service). And I won't post heavily until we hit the road.

Come along for the ride.

p.s. Comments, questions and (above all) advice are encouraged.

share on: facebook

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a great trip. My advice (I did a road trip out to the West Coast and back a year and a half ago, or):

    1) It may sound lame, but a GPS can be your best friend. Running out of gas in the middle of nowhere? Ask the GPS. Desperately seeking someplace to stop for lunch? Ask the GPS. You get the drift.

    2) Don't plan too far in advance (i.e., pre-book a lot of hotels or campgrounds or whatever), and allow for your plans to change. We usually decided where to stop about an hour before we meant to stop. Again, the GPS came in handy--even provides hotel phone numbers so you can call ahead. You will come to some random town in the middle of nowhere only to discover that all the hotels are booked out for no reason you can determine. Trust me.

    3) Leave yourself plenty of time to take in the sites. If you really want to see things as you go along, plan no more than 4 hours of driving a day, or maybe 6. Remember that eating takes more time than you think.

    4) Bring a laptop, if you have one with wireless, and look for hotels, such as the Comfort Inn and Days Inn, that provide free WiFi. Then you can look up things to see as you go along, update your blog, check the weather, book hotels, etc.

    5) See as many random sites and meet as many local people as you can.

    Feel free to send me a facebook message if you have any specific questions.

    ReplyDelete